Friday, March 11, 2011

Chapter 12

Sorry for not posting a blog Wed. night. We got just east of El Paso, but I was having troubles with my front sprockets not shifting from one to the other. We found a bike shop in El Paso and they adjusted it and got me working fine again. I also picked up a couple new tubes. By the time we got that finished and had dinner it was about 9:00 P.M. & I was 'out of gas'. There were still a lot of pecan groves along the way. A lot of agriculture still going on. I visited the Costco store in El Paso after the bike shop, impressive warehouse. I was able to replenish some supplies while I was there. I need to take a few lines and mention some things that I've neglected to share with you. Along the way so far, I have run into about a dozen cyclist going cross country the hard way. They are loaded down with everything they need to be able to camp, cook and sustain their journey. My guess would be about 80 # minimum. Their bike frames and wheels probably are 12-14 # heavier than mine and they fight the same hills and headwinds I do.”My hat is off to them”, pretty hearty individuals. I also got a call from my cousin Don Williams ( Stephan's older brother) & we talked for 20-30 min. We talked about our much younger days, cycling, ( Don is an avid cyclist and does many long distance races), and of course Stephan, where we both choked up a bit over the phone. It was great to hear from him and we vowed to do a better job of staying in touch with each other. It turns out that his wifes family has the McGinnis Meadows Ranch west of Kalispell. “small world”. Have a shorter ride tomorrow but uphill all the way. Just to let you know – I rode across the Texas State line right at “High Noon” how fitting.
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment