Saturday, March 12, 2011

Chapter 15

Our free camping spot in an abandoned gas station in Kent, TX.
I'd like to start this chapter of the blog by dedicating today's ride to my mom. If she were still alive she would be 85 yrs old today. I think of her always and miss her witty sense of humor, her smiling face and her generous upbeat attitude towards life. We got into Kent last night and spent the night at the Kent mercantile parking lot & gas station. We left this morning about 8:00am & we arrived in Ft. Stockton TX. about 2:30 central time 89 miles. The winds were with me today, finally, and the ride was the best one I've had so far this trip. I got another flat, but at least it was in FT. Stockton. They are much easier to change than if you have to do them along side the road. I have to confess that I'm going to take a bit of a "mulligan" and stay parallel with highway 10 for the next couple of days. We will re-join our original route in Kerrville/Ingram probably Tuesday night. The winds from the south have been so strong these last 4 to 5 days, at 62 years of age I just don't have the stamina to fight them and still make the time I need to be in St. Augustine by the 4th of April. I hope no one thinks less of me for taking a little shorcut! Hard to believe I've been riding for 2 weeks now without a break. Hoping for more tailwinds tomorrow- still haven't seen any "Yellow Roses".
MIke

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm a different route :) sounds like a plan. Couldn't think less of you. You are a inspiration. We are proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MikE & Vargie,
    How can anyone think less of you..You two are so amazing..If you were to take a day off to relax along the way..Everyone would say,"They realy deserve to take a break"So don't be feeling guilty for taking a shortcut..Everyone here is fallowing you in awe..I'll pray you keep the wind at your back..And your eyes sharp for that yellow rose...I'll be looking for a photo of that..
    Roll on..Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wearing the rubber off your tires whoa -

    Hello Mike and Vargie!

    Well we made it thru your vacation from interneting. Boy I was worried! (Paul) That mexican border and the drug cartel thing! Anyway we can't wait till we see your message.

    I've been writing more letters than usual - kids
    cousing -friends - cause I got someone to brag on!!! Mike and Vargie!!!! I copy a chapter every so often to spruce up the braggin! It's neat that you meet other bikers! and the old man with the blow out on his pick up? Old man of 62 - I'm 77! But I ain't old ha ha.
    Karen is trying to pull your latest chapter up so I'll get this done for her to send you.
    Love and prayers you guys

    Paul and Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike,
    We met you today at the rest stop on I-10 about 20 miles out of Ft. Stockton. Obviously found your blog & will read up on your journey. Don't know if you are coming thru Austin but be prepared for some hills if yoi do. I'm hoping to get a ride in with my son today, so I'll have to tackle some of those hills myself.

    Good luck on your trip!

    Susie & Steve Struck

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Leif and Barbie. Your truley our Hero. No matter what route you take or when you get there! Do it the best way for you! One reason it may be hard riding is cause we are all with you and thats ALOT of weight:) LOVE you two and take some time to enjoy!!! Kris

    ReplyDelete