Thursday, March 17, 2011

Chapter 20

 This is our camp site in Bastrop. Dogs love getting out of the trailer or truck and kicking back.
St Patricks Day!!!! and the luck of the Irish was with me today. the steep hills began to  flatten out quite a bit and about 2 1/2 hours into the ride I turned northeast and actually got a pretty decent tailwind!  Praise the Lord, as my legs and especially my knees needed an easier ride today.  We are in Bastrop State Park in Bastrop TX. We actually have threes, bushes and green grass. There is a really nice golf course next to the park. The morning started out overcast much like the last 2 mornings and again by mid-afternoon the skies cleared up and we were probably near 80 degrees  by 4:30. Everyday we seem to get into greener and more lush vegetation which is really nice. If everything goes according to plan, we will spend tonight and then 3 more nights in TX.. The third being right on the Louisiana border with Texas.The towns we went through today were really all american communities. Wimberley, Kyle, Cedar Creek and Bastrop were all clean well kept towns and the hwys had very little litter. The people were friendly and it was a pleasure to interact with them. Their friendly additudes sure reminded me of Montana. They all seem to enjoy bikers coming thru and are very helpful with directions. If you get turned around, and we have done that a few times, they are more than helpful in getting you in the right direction.  I hope the pledges are coming in. We are more than halfway so I'm hoping we are in the $5000. range. Will shoot a few pictures to you at Costco and hopefully on the blog.
Football is "king" in TX. You should see the high school football stadium out of Bastrop. I know some small colleges that would be jealous. I'm hoping the kids from Austrailia got into Austin today and got their bike repaired . It would sure be nice to run into them again. Our sights are on Louisiana and I'm anzious to get into the Gulf states.
Again Thanks for all the respones to the blog.
God bless from Bastrop, TX
Mike

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mike,
    I'm glad to hear the wind is finally at your back..I'm praying it pushes you all the way in to the Atlantic ocean :D
    Brinda put up a bunch more of your pics & blogs today..We are keeping up with you on the map..There are alot of people who come & check on your progress..
    About thoes kis from Alstrailla,Did you get there e-mail address??
    Take it easy with thoes knees..
    Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike & Vargie!
    First off, congrats on the great job both of you are doing! Mike, you really impress me!! I actually posted the pictures & blogs today--Brenda is having difficulty with it because she doesn't have a home computer.
    IS THERE ANY WAY YOU CAN JUST SEND THE PICTURES TO KALISPELL COSTCO PHOTO DEPT--order them under Vargie's name and I can pick them up there. It's too confusing the other way (Having Brenda use Vargie's password, etc...)I only had pictures though Chapter 5 because that's all she got printed. I tried to print the pix off the blog, but they don't really turn out. You can call me at 755-5955 (home) if you have questions...
    I did put a "blurb" in the newsletter about getting more donations. Unfortunately, we are only up to $1500. but none of the managers have contributed so I plan on putting some REAL pressure on them soon!
    Again, God Bless on your journeys! WE ARE PROUD OF YOU! Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. We LOVE you and Vargie for your dedication to this adventure. Your Costco family misses you, and we are all keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the hard work, Mike. When you get back we should go backpacking for a couple of weeks -- just for the exercise. Ha ha ha. Mike M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Mike!! I've been tracking your progress on the map at the front of the store. You're awesome!! You're doing a great job for the kids!

    ReplyDelete