Saturday, March 26, 2011

Chapter 28

SWEET HOME ALABAMA!!! As I left Biloxi early this morning we had same cooler marine air( blowing from the southeast) that was refreshing and almost chilly. When Vargie and I met a few miles down the road, she showed me the severed electrical harness going back to the trailer for lights, brakes and all. By the time we rounded up parts and then got everything wired up, replaced bulbs,and fuses we had lost about 4 hours. Our original plans were to try to get near Pennsicola Fl., but apparently God wanted us to spend the night in Alabama, so we did, Dauphin Island at the bottom edge of Mobile Bay to be exact. Once we got going again we rode through seveal small port towns and over several BIG bridges. The south has some of the tallest bridges I have ever gone over. Rode  by a big shipyard in Pasagoula, over a draw bridge in Bayou La Botre, then across a land spit onto a 4 mile bridge onto Dauphin Island . That was really a cool bridge.
We were both exhausted and hungry so we ate at a small restaurant next to the campground, chose our route plans for Sat. and got some sleep. I got up a 5 am this morning to write the blog as I was to tired last night to write anything.We will cross the rest of the bay by ferry later this morning and hope to get 20 or 30 miles east of Pennsicola today. BICYCLE TIRES: they are really the soul of the bike. They feel every inch of the journey,they cushion the blows when the road is rough, they help steer you in the right direction. Along with the brakes they stop you from possible harm. I will leve this morning with this obervation. Take good care of your tires (your soul) and it will see you through all of life's journeys.
Mike

4 comments:

  1. Good Morning,
    Another state bites the dust..I look forward to seeing you in Florida..You are almost there!!Way to go!! I am SOOOOOO proud of you!!
    Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike & Vargie!
    LOVE the pictures! I especially loved the one when you rode into Louisiana! It looked like Spring--something that we haven't seen here yet! Woke up AGAIN to snow. I know it will melt off by noon, but it sure dampens my spirits until it does.
    Prayers are flying all around from Boo and all of the children that will benefit from your efforts for CMN! You're the BEST!
    Hugs to each of you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Mike & Vargie,

    Thank you for the great updates, I have been following them at home and work. I meant to put a howdy on you much sooner than now but broke my right leg and have had my hands full getting around,to and from work. We had abit of snow this morning and the robins have their work cut out for themselves scurrying around for food. We are all proud of your stamina. We miss your infectious smile and endless enthusiasm at work but know you are pushing hard to help the kids. May the winds of Florida be kind to you. Godspeed Tim Larson

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Paul (or aka as Vargie calls him Bill)

    Mike - Hey Buddy - you're having the time of your life - Fo Sho!!. I hauled an overload thru the are around Biloki - Many years ago dodging scales and cops! We went over a stretch of grass -as we moved along, the grass would wiggle and wave at us - kinda like the roadways was floating on the Big Bog Scarey!!
    Our thoughs echo the comments on Mar 22, by Baribie, Loree and Jill and Don!! We are lookng forward to seeing you folks again. It will be such great visiting !! You in Forida as I write! Great ride! I am so envious, I will daily I was riding Shotgun with you !!

    Love and Best Wishes
    Karen and Paul

    ReplyDelete