Thursday, March 31, 2011

CHAPTER 34

We got up this morning to cloudy skies, but as I rode out of Suwannee River State Park it was still dry. Kept riding east on hwy 90 which has been a phenominal stretch of road for bicycling . Hats off to Florida for such a bike friendly highway. About half an hour in, it started to rain again, however it was much lighter than yesterday and the winds were very light. They are still calling for tornado warnings in the area. We passed some beautiful homes today - some as large as average motels, and literally scores of acreage with metal fences with brick and wrought iron gates. I probably should have stopped at one or two of them to see if they would adopt me. I rode into Starke early this afternoon, which is on hwy 100 and hwy 16. Tomorrow I will take hwy 16 east and ride the last 55 miles into St. Augustine. It has been an incredible journey- unimaginable to be precise, and it seems strange to know tomorrow will be the last day. With 34 straight days on the narrow bicycle seat, my butt is going to be glad to see the Atlantic ocean. We are supposed to have sunny weather tomorrow and I will look forward to doing my last blog from Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine. As Always Thanks for your blog responses and support.

So long from Starke, Florida    This is a little squirrel looking for dinner after the rains stopped in the park.
Mike

7 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed following you on this incredible journey. Thanks for the blog.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Mike this ones in the books!!! and off the bucket list. What else is on your list? How about a long comfy ride home in your truck with your amazing wife! Thought that would sound good to your BUTT anyway. AWESOME JOB SIR! You are truely my hero!!!! KRIS

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you ever get a picture of Lance Armstrong while in Florida. It looks great on your blog and he looks good in blue. Hear that Mt. Everest is next on your Bucket List. Take my advice and change that "B" now. Look forward to seeing picture of the Atlantic Ocean on Fri.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sooooooooooooooooo! excited for you to be at the end of your amazing jurny..It was an awesome jurny for me as well..I look forward to reading your last blog..Oh.What rout will you be taking home?.Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Capt Dan and Nance
    Mike
    Wow what an accomplishment!!! Nance and I are so proud of you and your steel determination.
    Varge way to go..you made it happen!
    We look forward to seeing you guys when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey you guys! Wow! 55 miles to go! Guess that will be duck soup! The news says your bad weather is moving south - great new eh? You both are our Heros!!! - I know Boo will grow to know your his hero too!!

    All your friends who write to you are such great supporters! One hell of a trip Mr. Mike. I sure would have opted for a "wide glide" leadies seat! Karen and I put miles on the 76 Super Glide, Harley! Both had wide soft seats. Still have the Ole Scotter!

    I want to say something super but, we are both soo proud of your experience. We can not wait to see you - Karen leaves for a weekend in Deer Park tomorrow. I don't do the computor so I'll read about it Sunday.

    Love on ya!

    Karen and Paul (AKA Bill)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo on those last 55 miles! What an incredible journey! I hope St Augustine (one of my favorite FL towns) greets you in style...you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete