Saturday, March 26, 2011

Chapter 29

We made it into the Sunshine State and are closing in on the last 500 miles or so of the ride. We left Dauphin Island by ferry just after 8:00 am this morning and took about a 35 minute trip across Mobile Bay to Fort Morgan on the east side of the bay. The humidity today was unreal, you almost had to swallow the air before you could breathe it. We rolled into Florida about 11:30 am and took a lunch break along the gulf in a suburb of Pensacola named Pleasant Grove. We just kind of skirted along the gulf until we got east of Pensacola and then went north and we are spending the night in Milton,FL. just off hwy 90. Vargie bought some gulf shrimp from a roadside vendor and we had sauteed shrimp and cajun rice for dinner tonight. Life is perfect. Pretty good roads and good winds today as well. Now that we are getting close to our destination, I have mixed emotions. Half of me is anzious to wrap up the ride and get back to my beloved Montana, and the other half is kind of sad to see the end so near. I'd like to take a minute and thank Laurie who works in our Costco administrative office in Kalispell. She has made copies of the blog, posted them for my fellow employees and members, put up the pictures we've sent along, offered encouragment and is probably picking pockets for C.M.N. along with a dozen other things that I'm totally unaware of. My hearthfelt thanks goes out to her. I hope before we return I can send you a little of the nice weather we have been experiencieng. It's been some winter in Montana this year!
"Later Gater"
Mike

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mike & Vargie,
    We all miss you here and are looking forward to having you back with us..I can't wait to hear more exciting details of your adventure..
    It was snowing this morning but then the sun came out this afternoon..It's just teasing us.
    I'm going to eat supper( nothing like what you had) & relax a little befor going to bed..Have a good night..Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better watch out for ANY speed bumps. There Gators!! You're almost there Big Guy!! Your right Laurie has done a great job tracking you guys and informing everyone. You have like a shrine going and EVERYONE looks at it with amazment. Your missing out ALOT of Canadians around this week. Spring break. Oh yes we feel Blessed or something AAH! Keep it up! Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Mike! You're making me blush!
    It's been fun to post everything so everyone can follow along on your ride!
    I'm doing Beth's job for a few days & then KC & I are heading to Boise--in his truck--to buy a snowmobile sled deck. We had more snow this AM (John T said he had 2" when he left his house...) but I swear I read your BLOG and the sun peaked out! Good Job! Of course, we all know we can have sunshine while it's snowing, but a girl has to take what she gets! :-)
    Blessings to both of you as you near the journey's end. I'm sure anxious to talk with you in person and see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete