Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chapter 26

This a picture from the ferry as we crossed the Mississippi River.
I devoted so much of Boo Maddox's story in the prior chapter, I thought I better catch everyone up on the rest of Tuesday's ride and todays events. After leaving Krotz Springs we turned Northeast and rode through Morganza, crossed the Mississippi River by ferry, and camped just Northeast of St Francesville. We rode through a belt of agriculture that included sugar cane and either oats or rye and even some flooded fields that I believe was rice. St Francisville on the Eastern bank of the Mississippi is really a cool town. Lots of history, with the typical southern architecture and charm. The azaleas were in full bloom and the colors were vivid and amazing. We spent a restful evening nestled in a bayou area R.V. park amongst both pines and hardwoods and the moon was full and bright. I was able to get an early start and had fairly favorable winds. So tonight we are in the WalMart parking lot in Bogalusa, LA just a few miles west of the Mississippi border. Today's ride was more in the hill country, and I would ride through some wooded areas and then break into the open in cleared areas that were predominantly ranches. No close calls today-I can handle that! We will strive to get into Lucedale, MS. and spend Thursday night there, and then break south Friday and try to get to the gulf of Mexico in Bayou LaBatra, AL.
As always Thanks for the responses to the blog
Mike

3 comments:

  1. This blog was much easier to respond to than yesterdays. Still get a tear in the eyes thinking about Boo. Will pray for the three of you. Kind of like Rainbow Bridge, can't think about it without tearing up. Have a super day Thurs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone put copys of yesterdays blog in the breakroom today so everyone could read the story about Boo..And about your close call with that car..I am so glad you are safe!!.I WILL keep you & Vargie in my prayers along with Boo..
    PLEASE stay safe,Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike big news from the gas station! IT'S ONE WAY. I know when did that change? I couldn't answer the guy on the exact date of the change can you remember? OMG! Spent a couple hours without a hat or coat yesterday:) Please come home SAFE and SOON. We miss you. Kris

    ReplyDelete