Monday, March 21, 2011

Chapter 24

GOOD BYE TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!
 Well we are 90+ miles into our 5th state now, and it's kind of like  getting past Hump Day in the work week, you feel like your on the downhill side of the journey now. After some pretty hair raising incidents with country dogs, we are now avoiding most of the smaller county's  'farm to market', or 'ranch to market' roads. Combined with the fact that few of them have shoulders, and most of them are in desperate need of repair, it seemed like a good decision. 2 days ago in Tx. I thought a pit bull was going to end my trip, I have never turn the cranks so and fast in my life, while screaming at the top of my lungs. I was able to out ride his legs, but at one point only about 24 inches separated us. Nice to get back into a stte with milepost markers. The only roads TX. has them on are the interstate freeways. No state or cunt roads we were on had any at all. Two of the things we looked for in TX. were longhorns and armadillos. Didn't see either until we crossed into Louisiana. Lots of road kill in Louisiana, #1 snakes, #2  possums & raccoons # 3 armadillos. Most of the ride today was on a ribbon of hwy cutting through the forests. It was really enjoyable cycling today with the trees helping to cut the wind and provide shade on the shoulders . I don't think the word shade is even in the TX state dictionary.  Our goal is to get to St. Francesville tommorrow, which put us back on our original route again.
So long from the "Ragin Cajun" state.
Mike

5 comments:

  1. I am sure the pit bull just wanted to say "hello" and wish you a safe journey. Good luck in Louisiana! Mike M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,

    Susie & I (and Jackson) returned home yesterday. After we saw you near Ft. Stockton we were in Austin (got to ride with my son) and then continued to Dallas to visit Susie's sister. We left there Sunday and arrived in Grand Haven yesterday noon. Not exactly spring here, so your riding in the warmer weather looks attractive.

    Continued good luck as you are on the down hill side of the trip. We look forward to the final chapter from St. Augustine.

    Regards,

    Susie & Steve Struck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mike & Vargie,
    And Hello Louisiana!!!
    Nice going out running that pitt bull..I'm so glad you are ok.
    It is still cold here in Montana..We had some snow yesterday & it looks like it's going to snow again today..Nothing serious..It just won't go away..BOOO!
    It's my day off today & I have work to do on my house (inside)so I'm going to get started..I will check in on you again tonight..
    Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that it feels like you are going downhill now that you are out of Texas. Did you know that Hell is a local call in Texas? I'll put a 2x4 under the back of my stationary bike and see if I get that downhill feeling. Hope you have only good experiences the rest of the trip. You will have to write a book of tips for future adventurers to read. You can write it while Vargie is conducting her seminars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like a great ride so far...no more pit bulls tho...lol keep up the good work mike

    tire mike

    ReplyDelete