Friday, March 18, 2011

Chapter 21


Sorry Sis but this is the best I could do in getting an armadillo. Running out of Texas and still have not seen a real one. Locals say they are everywhere. 
As we got ready to leave Bastrop this morning we decided to go back into town and get breakfast. We had an early start and so we were  going to let someone else do the cooking. We enjoyed a nice breakfast and when we got back to the truck we discovered that we had a flat tire on the trailer. By the time we rounded up some tire, got them mounted and  got going it was about 9:45. I rode through more ranch country and across the Brazos & Navasota rivers going into Navasota . Another overcast morning which gave way to a clear and pretty warm afternoon, probably 85. We got into Navasota about 4:30 and had " Churches Chicken". Pretty much KFC without the colonel . As you ride into Texas, you don;'t realize how long it takes to ride out of Texas. It seems to never end. We will head for a very small community called Moss Hill ( name not even on the map) tomorrow and then try to make the Texas-Louisiana line by Sunday night. The warm weather is bothering our Golden Retrievers a little, but other than that things are ok. The wide open spaces of West Texas have given away now to shorter distances between communities. The people are still very friendy and helpful and I hope the same stays true in Louisiana.
Good night  Y'ALL
Mike
P.S.
Still have not seen any LONGHORNS

4 comments:

  1. There is a man running from Disney Ca to New York he is getting 40 miles a day. He is on Kelly and Regis daily just went through Alburque NM. and he is running for overweight children. I think you, too, should be on TV with what you're doing.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Mike & Vargie,
    I agree with Karen..You should be on T.V...You are just amazing!!
    We are all praying that the wind stays at your back..
    Be careful if you find one of those armadillos.They look kinda mean..
    Keep on rolling..Barbie:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike & Vargie,
    As I sit here enjoying my first cup of coffee at 9:00 AM I have visions of you guys having already traveled a fair distance!
    I love the daily updates! Keep 'em coming! I'll sure do my part to keep the $$pledges$$ rolling in!
    Looks cloudy and cool today. Guess that beats the light snow we had yesterday. sigh!
    Safe travels to both of you today and always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oh my you traveling man you. Be glad you haven't seen one of those nasty critters called armadillos. I was thinking about you as the snow was falling on my head as I sat outside in a hot tub. Wish you were there also. I'm sure you would of loved it.And you so deserve a nice relaxing soak. When you get back let me know and I will hook you 2 up for a soak:) Kris

    ReplyDelete